The COVID-19 outbreak is affecting all aspects of business. During this challenging period, when the situation is changing on a daily basis, it is important for you to have a full understanding of your contracts and rights.
Hamlins can provide expert advice on your key commercial contracts as well as tools to assist when disputes arise including pre-litigation and strategic advice, arbitration, and other forms of alternative dispute resolution.
Key issues we are helping our clients with and which you may be facing include:
- Contractual queries: businesses and individuals alike are seeking to find ways out of contractual obligations, and on the other side, enforce such. We can review your contracts and advise on the enforceability of force majeure, termination and suspension rights, governing law, and other related contractual clauses. We provide strategic advice as to termination/cancellation rights and as to your ability to vary or change circumstances or obligations within a contract on the basis of the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Debt assistance: as businesses across all sectors take a hit financially, cash flow will become increasingly critical over the coming months. We can provide effective services to assist with the prompt recovery of debts.
- Data protection: whilst employees and individuals are working remotely, you will need to consider various data protection issues regarding working practices, particularly maintaining the confidentiality and security of data.
- Insurance: we can advise on the interpretation of insurance policies and the right to enforce cover, coverage disputes – and in particular consideration of policy wording and coverage issues where insurers decline business interruption and other cover, disruption of supply chains and professional negligence issues.
- Insolvency: sadly, during economic crises we expect to see insolvencies. We can advise on contentious insolvency issues, both personal and corporate.
- IT/software licensing: increasing demands on IT systems, and the need for more licenses as businesses work from home may lead to disputes – we have the expertise to assist with any such issues.
If you have any questions in relation to these points or would like further information, please contact Amanda Burge, Head of Dispute Resolution or Matthew Pryke, Head of Commercial and Tech.
Visit Hamlins’ COVID-19 Hub for more updates on issues affecting your business.